Monday, April 19, 2010

My Favourite Movies

Favourite Film Noir

Rififi



The Lady From Shanghai

The Killers

Gilda
Double Idemnity
The Asphalt Jungle
Pepe Le Moko

Favourite Films

A masterpiece: Shanghai Express


The minimalist but insightful Tokyo Story


My taste for World cinema started with Leningrad Cowboys Go America.


Mike Leigh's films


Luis Buñuel's movies especially The Criminal life of Archibaldo de la Cruz and The Exterminating Angel.



Vittorio Di Sica Films



Maîtresse




ALL Alfred Hitchcock Movies.


Mexican Golden Age Cinema

The Browning Version


Harold And Maude

KES Ken Loach


Barry Lyndon first and then the rest of all Stanley Kubrick films.




Orlando by Sally Potter has to be my favourite contemporary film.



Other directors I really really like:
Jules Dassin
Mina Nair
John Waters
Carlos Saura
Charles Chaplin
Woody Allen
Carlos Reygadas
Pedro Almodovar (Although I'm getting kind of bored with Penelope Cruz in his films)
John Huston
Elia Kazan
Wong Kar Wai

Genres:

I'm obsessed about Film Noir and silent movies.
I love Hollywood films from the 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's.
I'm a big fan of German Expressionism.
British New Wave as opposed to French New wave as I understand it better.
1920's and 1930's Cinema of the Soviet Union.
Post-II World War Japanese films.
I enjoy a bit of Bollywood and more serious Indian cinema.


Movies that are kind of special to me:

Happy Together
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning
Amores Perros
Pepe Le Moko
Modern Times
Nosotros los pobres, Usteds los ricos
Sunset Boulevard
Superman (as it was my very first movie at the cinema)
Mother and 10 Days That Shook The World
The Blue angel
Shadow of A Doubt
Pickpocket
Ladri Di Biciclette


1 comment:

Paul D Brazill said...

Some cracking films there. Why did Ken Loach never make another film as good as Kes?